» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Obama: Debt Ceiling Impasse Threatens Social Security, Veterans, Medicaid Checks

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Obama: Debt Ceiling Impasse Threatens Social Security, Veterans, Medicaid Checks

Post by Springflowers on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Obama Threatens Social Security

by springflowers Today at 7:39 pm

How can ANYONE support this bad of a president. He is another Bush and both of the evil parties, Democrat and Republican are WORKING together to give the little guy the shaft, notice they say no cuts for rich bankers or corporate welfare or endless wars. They want granny and the disabled to go live in the street. I got disabled friends, the disabled check is it, and they will be in the streets unless someone takes them in. My rent is paid with my disability check. We barely make it now, so what will happen? I even said to husband months ago, this economy is collapsing, even prepping was a laugh, because there wasn't any extra money.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2011/07/obama-debt-ceiling-impasse-threatens-social-security-veterans-medicaid-checks-.html

Anyone who still supports Obama after crap like this, you have drank the Kool-Aid and need to wake up, and the stupid evil Republicans who bow before big business and global corporations and want to cut all safety nets are no better.Obama basically threatened millions of people with eviction, starvation and death in saying ha ha ha we won't pay disability. They probably have emptied out the social security money too!

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama: Debt Ceiling Impasse Threatens Social Security, Veterans, Medicaid Checks

Post by Springflowers on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:its his watch! If the seniors don't get their checks it will not matter who it is, Obama is in charge and he will suffer his downfall no matter who is to blame. He is in power!
What do you mean "he is in power"? This is not a monarchy, it is a democracy (or so they tell us).

Why can't you understand that he cannot do this without the authorization of Congress? Both Chambers! They are deliberately blocking every effort the President is making to resolve this crisis for their own personal gains!

It's a manufactured crisis, they had at least 17 times of raising the debt ceiling which makes me wonder if this time, they do plan to take away the social security. Just wait til they go for all the pensions and clean those out, that is planned.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Re: Obama: Debt Ceiling Impasse Threatens Social Security, Veterans, Medicaid Checks

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:50 am

Springflowers wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:
exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:its his watch! If the seniors don't get their checks it will not matter who it is, Obama is in charge and he will suffer his downfall no matter who is to blame. He is in power!
What do you mean "he is in power"? This is not a monarchy, it is a democracy (or so they tell us).

Why can't you understand that he cannot do this without the authorization of Congress? Both Chambers! They are deliberately blocking every effort the President is making to resolve this crisis for their own personal gains!

It's a manufactured crisis, they had at least 17 times of raising the debt ceiling which makes me wonder if this time, they do plan to take away the social security. Just wait til they go for all the pensions and clean those out, that is planned.
I know that is planned - what I didn't lose in the market, I have spent trying to survive over three years being unemployed. As far as the debt ceiling, agreed, it has been raised many times before this with no problem. So what is the issue this time? A black president? Sorry to be so blunt, but that is what it is starting to look like to me!

Back to top Go down

Post by Redpossum on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Desperate, this is not right.

For you to stoop so low as to blatantly play the race card like that, in what is supposed to be a polite discussion among friends, or at least allies, that is downright dirty.

For shame, for shame, for shame.

Redpossum

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Redpossum wrote:Desperate, this is not right.

For you to stoop so low as to blatantly play the race card like that, in what is supposed to be a polite discussion among friends, or at least allies, that is downright dirty.

For shame, for shame, for shame.
Oh, please! I am NOT playing the race card. Not even going to argue that point - take it up with Mitch McConnell. Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by exhaustedandtired/1208 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:44 pm

He has the answer. He wants to give Obama debt raising power automatically. But I'm sure fault will be found with that also! Its both sides. Obama doesn't want even a temporary fix. BOTH... Pure politics.

exhaustedandtired/1208

Back to top Go down

Post by Redpossum on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:49 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:He has the answer. He wants to give Obama debt raising power automatically. But I'm sure fault will be found with that also! Its both sides. Obama doesn't want even a temporary fix. BOTH... Pure politics.

Both sides want to raise the debt limit.

But both sides want the other side to take the blame for it.

What I keep asking is this, WHY are we even talking about cutting Social Security, when it is not contributing to the deficit?

Redpossum

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:50 pm

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:He has the answer. He wants to give Obama debt raising power automatically. But I'm sure fault will be found with that also! Its both sides. Obama doesn't want even a temporary fix. BOTH... Pure politics.
An example of just one article about what the GOP thought of McConnell's proposal:

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/mcconnell-debt-back-up-plan-gives-dems-opportunity-to-break-gop-anti-tax-hegemony.php

But GOP leadership -- including House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) -- understood what the Wall Street Journal recognized, but few others did: A fiscal crisis is much too hefty a price for the party and the country to pay, even if it's to purchase the holy grails of the conservative movement.

In that sense, yesterday's development undermined the basic vision of the conservative movement: that decoupling taxes and spending would cause revenue and outlay arrows to diverge; and that when faced with the resulting unsustainable debt load, the country's representatives, pushed by powerful interest groups, would keep the tax rates and scotch social programs. Choose the corporate state over the entitlement state.

Back to top Go down

Post by sbraney on Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:26 pm

What I keep asking is this, WHY are we even talking about cutting Social Security, when it is not contributing to the deficit?

Actually it is contributing to the deficit, because these social security taxes were thrown into the "general fund" and then blown to cover other nonsense. The superclass would like to reduce benefits (steal from us) first, because they don't benefit from it and second they'd much rather use the savings to spend on something that returns a profit directly to them, i.e, they can invest in corporations that they award security or military contracts to. See how they think? Why is it necessary to waste money educating a bunch of people who only need to know how to push a shovel - I actually heard Bush say that. Charter schools, even though they may be set up as not-for-profit have associated services that are absolutely profitable and the profit comes from having the taxpayer foot the bill with no cap on charges - somewhat like privatized prisons. The big security firms that provide thugs to guard the prisoners and housekeeping services return a nice profit. In fact, prisons are the primary "industry" in some states.

So while other nations are investing huge sums of money in their infrastructures, education and research, "our" leaders are trying to see how much they can cut from these types of projects - eliminate human services, but retain anything that supports Wall Streets interests. Get it? You have to think like they do to understand their propaganda. It's a disgrace, but explains why there's so much money poured into crap that's not essential and extremely destructive in many cases. Grinding poverty and ghettos don't matter - take the jet, build a gate. I used to live in Ft. Myers, FL and every time they built a new highway, they would be sure to move the poor neighborhoods so that people wouldn't have to look at the shacks on the way to Sanibel.

What infuriates me is that we were assured of the necessity in '83 that if our taxes weren't DOUBLED, social security and medicare would not be able to support the baby boomers' retirement. Well, here we are, not midway, but at the beginning of the baby boomer demand, and once again, the fraudsters are telling us that it's unsustainable.

Has anyone mentioned the impact that Medicare Part D has had? NOOOOOOOO - don't want to stomp on big pharma's toes - especially since the taxpayer is paying the bill for these drugs, and big pharma isn't paying much for labor, and can dump in countries with no environmental enforcement, just think how profitable this industry is for Congress and the investor class. The largest consumer of drugs is NOT able to negotiate the price that these companies charge?? I thought that the least Pelosi would do when the democrats took control of Congress would be to repeal this law after they made such a stink while in the minority. Please repeat this to as many people as you can. In fact, as many of the pharmaceutical corporations are not even American firms, they consider the U.S. their cash cow since every other industrial nation has national healthcare and they would NEVER be able to charge what they want. Regardless, large buyers always have purchasing power - gee, Walmart comes to mind. In fact, Walmart has the power to put a firm out-of-business if they decide to purchase from another company which is exactly what they did to Rubbermaid. Neither party wants to give up the campaign cash that big pharma contributes.

sbraney

Back to top Go down

Post by Redpossum on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:12 pm

sbraney, well said.

If I had the money to fix my house up to where I could sell it, I would leave the country. I lived the expat life back in the late 70's, and I didn't like it much, but it wasn't as bad as this.

I'd rather sit on a nice clean toilet than squat over a hole in the floor, but I've done it before, and I can do it again if I have to.

I prefer to speak English, but I do speak Spanish too, and I can learn another language if I have to, though I'm too old to ever attain full fluency.

There are things I'd miss, sure. And my family has been here in North America for 350 years, it's true. But the reasons for leaving the USA now are much the same as the reasons my various ancestors left their home countries back then. Tyranny. Poverty. War.

At the end of the first verse of the Star Spangled Banner, Francis Scott Keyes asked us, "oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave, o'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?"

At this point, sadly, the answer is a resounding "No".

Redpossum

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Redpossum wrote:sbraney, well said.

There are things I'd miss, sure. And my family has been here in North America for 350 years, it's true. But the reasons for leaving the USA now are much the same as the reasons my various ancestors left their home countries back then. Tyranny. Poverty. War.

100% in agreement with that statement!

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Springflowers on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:27 pm

[

I agree the answer is NO.

I have heard that many young people with some resources are making the decision to LEAVE.

Even I consider trying to make it for Canada...if they take disability away, will I have to tell the Canadians I am disabled? [They wont take any disabled people] The other day I thought how come they aren't having a weather or other disaster every other minute. The place seems far safer even if colder.

This country has drastically changed, and I hate seeing where it is going. Even the whole dead inside lifestyles and modernity bothers me.

Course its hard for Americans without money to go anywhere. They have already put out there NOT WANTED SIGNS.

I know a lot of Spanish, but those climates are too hot for me.

Hope things work out for you.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top