Latest topics
» I see this board has been quiet
Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 

Calendar Calendar


Please say a prayer for me and my family

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anything left to do once you've maxed out?

Post by rushjackson on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:01 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if there's anything left you can do once you maxed out regular UI + Extended Benefits. I've been on unemployment for 97 weeks and today was the absolute end to it. My account said $0.00 and I have already filed the initial claim plus and second claim when that one was about to expire. I think the next step is Public Assistance but if anyone knows of anything else please let me know. I've already applied for and got medicaid and food stamps. This is not how I pictured my life going. I'm a college graduate and an unemployed architect who just can't find work so far.

rushjackson
Member

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by rushjackson on Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:12 am

Hello All,

I would like to ask if you could say a prayer for me and my family. Here's the situation: I've been unemployed for 97 weeks now and my unemployment regular and extended just maxed out. My husband has a herniated disk and is on medical leave from Columbia University and my son is a diabetic Type I. I've done everything I could including praying, applying for jobs in and out of my field, getting an internship, taking computer classes, networking and nothing seems to be working. Now we're on the verge of losing our apartment. I lost my car and other electronics, I sold my house that was in another state, and I've pawned many things. I'm looking at going on cash assistance because I just haven't found a job yet despite the thousands of resumes I've sent out. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to do. Should I try to live with my dad after being independent for 20 years? I don't know if he would be able to take all 3 of us in (Husband, me and son). Please say a prayer for us that our situation will get better.
Thanks everyone.

rushjackson
Member

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by nfpexec on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:24 am

I'm sorry to hear of your plight but I am in the same situation since last fall. Unfortunately once you have reached the max UI there is NOTHING left to do or any additional assistance other than what you have gotten with food stamps and medicaid. Your govt has failed you and the rest of us. I have medicaid but haven't been able to swallow my pride and apply for food stamps YET.

nfpexec
Member

Posts : 194
Join date : 2011-03-22
Location : new york

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Redpossum on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:48 am

Yup, been a 99er myself since last June.

Welcome to the Monkey House. Your government has now officially declared you excess humanity and abandoned you.

There is food stamps, yes. Have fun trying to feed yourself on $6.50 a day. I've been doing it for over a year, and I eat, but I don't eat well. You have to cook everything yourself, and resign yourself to only eating meat about 2 days a week. Beans are a solution, but FFS check them carefully for rocks before you set them to soak. If you break a tooth now, you're in deep kimchee.

The worst is holidays when the neighbours barbecue, and I can smell it, oh man...

Redpossum
Member

Posts : 119
Join date : 2011-03-15
Age : 56

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Sad American on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 am

My heart and my prayers go out to you and your family...

Sad American
Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : Riverside, CA

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by lendmeflight2 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:56 am

Can you get medicaid if you still have unemployment benefits? Or do you have to be a 99er?

lendmeflight2
Member

Posts : 1219
Join date : 2011-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:55 am

Welcome, rushjackson. Sorry to hear about your situation. Most of us here are in the same sad shape, or will be very shortly. I have been a "99er" since March, 2010 and I know the pain. As far as packing up and moving in with dad, that is a decision you will have to make based on your financial situation.

There are several other programs that may be able to help you, including:

Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ofa/tanf/about.html

LIHEAP - Help with utilities and heating (apply early - funding goes fast!)
http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/

Homeowners and Rental Assistance (HUD)
http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD

Free Cell Phone Service
http://www.safelinkwireless.com
http://www.assurancewireless.com

There may be other services available - for further information call 211, the United Way's Hotline.

Good luck.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 am

rushjackson, so sorry you are joining us. It's a difficult time. Please post with us so we know how you are doing. If we can answer any questions for you we will be happy to do so.

I am going to bump up a few posts that won't help your situation but that you might find enjoyable and a little helpful.

We are here when you need us.

mk

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:57 am

Uh, perhaps a little more support and a lot less rubbing in the wound? Don't be mean.

YNWYAre

(and to rushjackson, you definitely have our support. Stay tough!)

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:01 pm

My thoughts are with you. I wish I could do more, but I'm in the same boat, only with 2 felines instead of humans.
There used to be something called the Hill-Burton Act at hospitals that receive federal funding. You had to go to their billing department with the bill and proof of income, etc. and if you qualified, the bill was paid by Hill-Burton.




http://www.hudhre.info/hprp/
http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
http://www.99ers.net/
99ers Facebook Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/99ers/134379549943110

Advocacy For The Long Term Unemployed - http://www.afltu.webs.com/

American 99ers Union - http://www.american99ersunion.com/

Assurance Wireless --http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx

BegsList (Drowning in debt, struggling to make ends meet, terrified of being out of a job, currently unemployed, or worried about getting by in today's economy?) http://begslist.org/

Circle of Friends for American Veterans - http://www.vetsvision.org/index.shtml

Common Ground - http://www.commonground.org/

Discounts on prescription drugs - http://www.needymeds.org/

Displaced American Workers United - http://dawu.forumotion.com/

Examiner.com Denver - http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-denver/kelly-wiedemer

Extend Unemployment Benefits - http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_133354446686732

Find a regional or national rideshare - http://www.rideshare-directory.com/

Free Cell Phone and Service Safelink - https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink/home

Free Govt Resources - http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2011/01/26/free-government-resources-for-the-unemployed/

Free or Cheap ISP (Internet Service) Database - http://www.all-free-isp.com/

Free Medical help - http://www.freemedicalcamps.com/
NOTE: This site DOES NOT INCLUDE ALL CITIES OF EVERY STATE. Florida has one of the highest rates of residents without health insurance and nowhere to turn for medical help. Only, if you are indigent, can you get Medicaid...even then, it is relative to the individual's circumstances. (Try UUnited Way, instead!)

Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada - GasBuddy.com

Food Stamp Facts - http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10101.html

Get Help Nationally - http://www.voa.org/Get-Help/National-Network-of-Services/Homelessness.aspx

Get to Work - http://iget2work.com/stories/unemployed-quilt/

Government Benefits, Grants and Financial Aid - http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/Benefits.shtml

HelpThe99ers.com/ - http://helpthe99ers.blogspot.com/

Help with heating bills - www.helpwithheatingbills.com/

Homeless Forums - http://www.homelessforums.org/

Homeless Shelter Directory - http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/

HUD Veteran Resource Center (HUDVET) - http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/veteran_information

Huffington Post Unemployment - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/unemployment

Lady of Hope - http://ladyofhope.net/

Job Tips - http://iget2work.com/tips/jobs/

Layoff List - http://www.layofflist.org/

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program By State - http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ocs/liheap/grantees/states.html

National Coalition for the Homeless - http://www.nationalhomeless.org/

National Directory of State Unemployment Offices and Resources - http://www.unemploymentoffice.net/index.htm

National Coalition for Homeless Veterans - http://www.nchv.org/

Outsaurus - http://www.outsaurus.com/about/

Partnership for Prescription Assistance - http://www.pparx.org/

Pet Food Assistance -- http://loveyourpetexpo.com/petfoodhelp.html

Philadelphia Unemployment Project - http://www.philaup.org/default.htm

Prince Chunk Foundation (help for pet owners in economic need) - http://www.princechunkfoundation.org/

Reach Out Job Search - http://www.reachoutjobsearch.com/

Rental Assistance - http://portal.hud.gov/portal/page/portal/HUD/topics/rental_assistance/local

Save money at 99 cent stores - http://www.99only.com/locator/index.php

SNAP -- http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/

Tier 5 Extension Needed!!! - http://tier5.webs.com/

Travelers Aid International - http://www.travelersaid.org

Unemployed Friends 2.0 - http://www.unemployed-friends2.org/

Unemployed/Organized for the 21st Century - http://ubo21.blogspot.com/

Unemployed statistics - http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/release?rid=50&pageID=1

Unemployed Workers Action Group - http://unemployedworkersactiongroup.webs.com/helpfor99ers.htm

Unemployed Workers.org - http://unemployedworkers.org/sites/unemployedworkers/index.php/

Unemployment Extension - http://www.unemployment-extension.org/

Unemployment Lifeline - http://www.unemploymentlifeline.com/

United, Angry, Voters (U.A.V.) - http://unitedangryvoters.weebly.com/

United Way - Call 211 or go online to the site closest to you. They give up-to-date information of what is available to the needy in our county and everywhere in the US.

We Are Visible - http://wearevisible.com/



Please SHARE my petion via email, Facebook or Twitter. I want thousands of signatures!!!

http://signon.org/sign/mr-president-and-congress?source=s.em.cr&r_by=268274



Pam Sexton, Unemployed U.S. Citizen


Pamela Sexton, Mr. President and Congress: The UNEMPLOYED are not INVISIBLE Campaign
pamfromoz@yahoo.com




couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Redpossum wrote:Yup, been a 99er myself since last June.

Welcome to the Monkey House. Your government has now officially declared you excess humanity and abandoned you.

There is food stamps, yes. Have fun trying to feed yourself on $6.50 a day. I've been doing it for over a year, and I eat, but I don't eat well. You have to cook everything yourself, and resign yourself to only eating meat about 2 days a week. Beans are a solution, but FFS check them carefully for rocks before you set them to soak. If you break a tooth now, you're in deep kimchee.

The worst is holidays when the neighbours barbecue, and I can smell it, oh man...

This is when you notice every bill board, commercial, and person with food.

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:14 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:Can you get medicaid if you still have unemployment benefits? Or do you have to be a 99er?

Yes but it depends on how much you get. If meet the poverty guidelines you could qualify for FS. We did, we have been receiving FS for a year now. We started getting them a few months before my husband became a 99er.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:
lendmeflight2 wrote:Can you get medicaid if you still have unemployment benefits? Or do you have to be a 99er?

Yes but it depends on how much you get. If meet the poverty guidelines you could qualify for FS. We did, we have been receiving FS for a year now. We started getting them a few months before my husband became a 99er.

Sorry meant to say FS AND medicaid. but we also have to minor children. I would give a shot, cant hurt!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Guest on Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:20 pm

rushjackson wrote:Hello All,

I would like to ask if you could say a prayer for me and my family. Here's the situation: I've been unemployed for 97 weeks now and my unemployment regular and extended just maxed out. My husband has a herniated disk and is on medical leave from Columbia University and my son is a diabetic Type I. I've done everything I could including praying, applying for jobs in and out of my field, getting an internship, taking computer classes, networking and nothing seems to be working. Now we're on the verge of losing our apartment. I lost my car and other electronics, I sold my house that was in another state, and I've pawned many things. I'm looking at going on cash assistance because I just haven't found a job yet despite the thousands of resumes I've sent out. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to do. Should I try to live with my dad after being independent for 20 years? I don't know if he would be able to take all 3 of us in (Husband, me and son). Please say a prayer for us that our situation will get better.
Thanks everyone.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

First, is your son a minor? If so you should definitely look into the cash benefits from your state. You may also qualify for other assistance because of your sons medical issues. Have you tried SS? You may be able to get that for your son.

As far as moving in with family, if the opportunity is there I would take it. We had to do the same thing. My husband, myself, and my 2 girls moved in with my mother in law. Its hard at times. We were on our own for so long. But it beats the alternative and it also takes some of the pressure off.

Im so sorry you all have to go through this and I hope that things change for the better for all of us soon.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:34 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:
rushjackson wrote:Hello All,

I would like to ask if you could say a prayer for me and my family. Here's the situation: I've been unemployed for 97 weeks now and my unemployment regular and extended just maxed out. My husband has a herniated disk and is on medical leave from Columbia University and my son is a diabetic Type I. I've done everything I could including praying, applying for jobs in and out of my field, getting an internship, taking computer classes, networking and nothing seems to be working. Now we're on the verge of losing our apartment. I lost my car and other electronics, I sold my house that was in another state, and I've pawned many things. I'm looking at going on cash assistance because I just haven't found a job yet despite the thousands of resumes I've sent out. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what else to do. Should I try to live with my dad after being independent for 20 years? I don't know if he would be able to take all 3 of us in (Husband, me and son). Please say a prayer for us that our situation will get better.
Thanks everyone.

My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

First, is your son a minor? If so you should definitely look into the cash benefits from your state. You may also qualify for other assistance because of your sons medical issues. Have you tried SS? You may be able to get that for your son.

As far as moving in with family, if the opportunity is there I would take it. We had to do the same thing. My husband, myself, and my 2 girls moved in with my mother in law. Its hard at times. We were on our own for so long. But it beats the alternative and it also takes some of the pressure off.

Im so sorry you all have to go through this and I hope that things change for the better for all of us soon.
Bump

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:52 pm

bump

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:03 pm

bump

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by TR11005 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am

I won't tell you to go to McDonalds, they are hiring. Don't give up!

TR11005
Member

Posts : 541
Join date : 2011-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by MoInSTL on Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:42 pm

I applied for a low level federal job back in May. Since the OP has a degree, I suggest going to http://www.usajobs.gov/ and look at the jobs there. I should hear back if I get this job next week. I don't have a degree, but even a low paying job is better than nothing, great benefits and can apply to internal only positions after 90 days.

I am a 5 point preference veteran which helps a lot. If you are a veteran too, you will have a better shot. Those who are 10 point have an even better chance.

I know it won't solve anyone's immediate need, but I was found qualified, eligible and referred to hiring manager. My age has been my biggest obstacle so I decided to stop banging my head against the private sector wall. So apply, but don't hold your breath as it's a long process.

Edit: I don't know how your health is, but I have been donating plasma twice a week for several weeks. In my area, it's $25, then $30 for the second donation that week for a total of $55 per week. I received $100 for my first two initial donations.
http://www.interstatebloodbank.com/

MoInSTL
Member

Posts : 317
Join date : 2011-02-17
Age : 61

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by rushjackson on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Update:

I found out once you hit the 99'er mark for unemployment they are pretty much done with you. I have medicaid and food stamps. My son is 14 and diabetic type I and medicaid seems to cover his needs so far. We have just applied for Public Assistance (TANF) and our case is being reviewed. We finished the 2 required interviews and tomorrow I have to go to a Back To Work (BTW) orientation. They are supposed to have job vendors there but I don't know what kind of jobs they will have. It's expensive to live in New York so if you don't have a well paying job I guess you have to get roommates or move in with family. My husband has been approved for a freelance writer job and has another potential research job that would start in August if he gets it. I applied to work at Staples but I haven't heard back yet (it's only been 2 days). My lease is up in August and my landlord has emailed me to ask if we are renewing the lease but I've delayed responding because I am trying to get a job first. This does make me want to move back in with my Dad but we are like two rams and but heads sometimes. Also, I don't know if he would accept my husband moving in. I know that he would accept my son.

rushjackson
Member

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by rushjackson on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 pm

Thank you to everyone here for your support. Without people like you, I don't know what I would do. There's such a sense of isolation going through this and people not in this situation really don't get it.

rushjackson
Member

Posts : 6
Join date : 2011-07-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by couth11 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:09 pm

TR11005 wrote:I won't tell you to go to McDonalds, they are hiring. Don't give up!
LOL- even they've had to turn applicants away. The competition for even these jobs got quite ugly.

couth11
Member

Posts : 259
Join date : 2011-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by americatheneedy on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:01 pm

I will pray for you every night. Prayer war had begun!!

americatheneedy
Member

Posts : 311
Join date : 2011-02-21
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Please say a prayer for me and my family

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:29 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum