Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security

+4
lendmeflight2
exhaustedandtired/1208
New_Wave_Princess
carlch
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 Empty Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security

Post by carlch Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

All, it's been a while since I've posted as my time is consumed with the job assignment I've been on since January. (I could write a small book about work ethics and the changing workforce).

Anyway last night I was channel surfing and on a PBS station a report mentioned that AARP will be promoting slight reductions in SS payments. I got in on the end of the report so please do your own research. AARP is a not a friend of the older workers. Please avoid anything to do with this scam of an organizaton -- and I used them to do my 2010 tax compilation and they made a significant income tax mistake on my state return. Also, everyone should prepare for things to stagnate or possibly worsen in 2012.

carlch

Back to top Go down

Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 Empty Re: Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security

Post by americatheneedy Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:24 pm

So true tristen303. It's amazing, you get told you're lazy enough, you begin to wonder if it's true. I apply and apply, get rejected, I just can't deal with it. It has changed my personality. I am meaner and nastier than I used to be. I find myself in a frame of mind that is a mix of frustration, depression, fear, instinct, and disgust. I understand the effect you're talking about, but you could never explain it to the arrogant employers or people who make shots at the unemployed. You know, when these people become unemployed, I will not have any sympathy for them. I have a few in my family and I will remember who they are and I will remind them of their attitude when it was me and spit in their faces.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 Empty Re: Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security

Post by americatheneedy Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:29 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
New_Wave_Princess wrote:When it comes to alcohol, cigarettes, drugs etc you better believe I judge on that. Those aren't needs.

Alcoholism, Drug-addiction and morbid obesity are diseases. I don't know what you learned in your psych classes, but go back and look at your notes!

And I smoke, and do not think I should be judged on that vice. No one is perfect!

RIGHT ON NEW WAVE!! If you want to smoke, go right ahead, but it isn't a need. I like to eat ice cream, but it isn't a need, it's a vice. We both know we should quit, but lately it seems the only pleasure I have, so I continue. Die too young?? At this point, as long as it's quick, I don't give a shite!!
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:18 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:
MoInSTL wrote:Get the facts. Google "Causes of Addiction" and "Dual Diagnoses".

Thanks for your support, MO. That is what I was trying to tell her. Obviously she wasn't paying attention in her psych classes.

I got A's and at least I attended college. I wasn't sitting around eating ho hos and drinking and doing drugs. There's no reason that someone should use the excuse that the obesity or drug addiction was caused by other issues. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Why should I or someone else have to pay more in taxes, or be denied assistance because someone didn't take care of themselves? If they have a mental problem then they should go get help. However if they are drinking/drugging/eating the problem away I have no sympathy. Obese, or substance addicts should not be getting assistance unless it's proven they are mentally ill. Even then they shouldn't be doing these bad bahavior patterns. This is partly why I think Obamacare is bad, because it will reward people for bad behavior whereas people like me will have to pay more for their choices.

Do as Mo suggested and look further into these diseases that you say are caused by irresponsibility. Also, do yourself a favor and stop judging people on the actions of a few.

And jusy an FYI, I am not fat, I try to stay healthy (which is hard with no health coverage), I have 2 college degrees in two different areas, one of which is Social Sciences, I am a licensed Social Worker in the State of RI and was half way through my Master's program when I was laid off, and I do not look my age.

It is apparent to me that you base people's character and worthiness on their appearance, education and vices. That is pretty sad, to say the least.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:42 pm

carlch wrote:Desperate thanks for changing the title thread. I was not sure where to post. Interestingly, the senior execs in the office where I'm temping ---most who earn six digit salaries -- could care less about SS since they have fat 401 portfolios. They actually make jokes about social security and position it along the lines of welfare. Another face of corporate elite and greed running this country. I need Obamacare because I've been without health insurance since 2008.

I had a decent 401(k) savings also, but not having a job for over 3 years has just about wiped it out. On top of that, I have not been paying into SS for the same amount of time. Retirement, which I once looked forward to now scares me to death.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:51 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:I have no problem with immigrants receiving social security if they paid in. However, I've seen many who never paid and received it which is wrong. I have no idea how they received it but they did. My paternal grandmother was British never became a citizen and received ss because she paid in.

Those with development disabilities should receive assistance. Drug addicts shouldn't unless they are disabled and there is proof. However the mentally ill label is thrown around way too much and I know people receiving it who have anxiety or OCD. I suffer bouts of both and do not feel I am disabled. I also know many bi polar people and depending on the severity many can work but choose to use disease as a reason to not work. I had a friend with schizophrenia and he loved to work at his job and didn't understand people with lesser mental illnesses who chose not to work. I'm not saying there shouldn't be help for the mentally ill but mentally ill can be expanded to illnesses that are minor or under control.

What you need to understand is people have varying degrees of these types of illnesses. just because you or friend can work and function doesnt mean that everyone can. I have seen people with severe ocd, manic depression and crippling anxiety and there is no way they could hold a steady job. They may be fine for 6 months out of the year but completely incapacitated for the other six months. this is what is taken into consideration when applying for ssi or ssdi. Im sure there are some that take advantage but there is always a few in every crowd and there are more that are legit than not IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Agreed, S & T! People with mental health issues often can only function for so long before they encounter a severe episode that requires extensive treatement. The majority of employers will not tolerate frequent leaves of absence, especially now when potential employees are a dime a dozen. FMLA covers only 12 weeks of medical leave every two years. This amount of time allowed is not enough for people who require treatment to live normal lives. What are we supposed to do with these people? Bring back the institutions that used to be in place years ago? The treatment in these places for the mentally ill was horrid. RI was one of the first states to dismantle this system, and studying about the way things were in these places made me sick!

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 pm

The Republicans WANT the unemployment rate to rise and for people to be unemployed so that they can starve the Social Security and Medicare "beasts" of contributions from paychecks and allege that they are useless programs, so, thus, should be eliminated. AZZHOLES! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:49 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

Thanks for your support, MO. That is what I was trying to tell her. Obviously she wasn't paying attention in her psych classes.

I got A's and at least I attended college. I wasn't sitting around eating ho hos and drinking and doing drugs. There's no reason that someone should use the excuse that the obesity or drug addiction was caused by other issues. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Why should I or someone else have to pay more in taxes, or be denied assistance because someone didn't take care of themselves? If they have a mental problem then they should go get help. However if they are drinking/drugging/eating the problem away I have no sympathy. Obese, or substance addicts should not be getting assistance unless it's proven they are mentally ill. Even then they shouldn't be doing these bad bahavior patterns. This is partly why I think Obamacare is bad, because it will reward people for bad behavior whereas people like me will have to pay more for their choices.

With your Objectivist, survival of the fittest, attitude I am sure there are many reasons that you dislike Obamacare. A national health insurance should cover everyone regardless of the reason and setting up some kind of complicated system to decide who "deserves" treatment just makes the system even more bloated than it already is. I do tend to agree with you in some cases. I find it personally annoying that when I was working the people that smoked got more breaks because they "had to". Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have been a model and, I would assume, be in decent shape. You have good genes, not everyone does. I work really hard to stay in shape. I have to or else I would be fat and not worthy of coverage I suppose. If you want to start judging people then let's do that. Let's turn the table back on you. I have heard you state many times that you have turned down $10 an hour jobs because it pays less than your benefit check. It's more than minimum wage and I bet Illinois requires you to take a job that is more than minimum wage. This is offensive to me because I would kill to make that much money now. On top of that this is the attitude that makes people not want to support extra weeks. See how easy it is to judge other people?
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:03 pm

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
DesperateInRI wrote:

Princess is a good name for you. Do you have a FAKE TIARA too? Step off your SOAPBOX WILL YA!

Say if you had cancer in your 20s and now you are A OK! Well you can't be turned down because the dice did NOT go your way! Its ONLY a matter of time so count yourself LUCKY and know the new healthcare plan WILL HELP YOU.

Not everyones health is in their hands. My fiances mother died at 46 of cancer. We just went to her grave.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:58 am

americatheneedy wrote:I am fat now because since I have no job all I do is snack on whatever I can afford, worry, and cry. I have never considered collecting social security for it. I have also had OCD so badly that I was taking 20 minutes to leave the house, still will NOT give in to say I am disabled. I want to work. I fight both and keep going, try to not eat so much as I get more and more depressed and would be SOOOO embarassed to apply for disability. As for social secuity, the very wealthy pay in, but it should just be a tax for them, no millionarie needs SS when poor older Americans are going hungry. Yes, New Wave I have been eating that problem away and I am disgusted with myself and am fighting it, but the more rejection I get, the harder it is. If I could get a job, the problem would solve itself. Lord, ya'll pray for me.

I'll pray for you. I have been doing the same thing myself and like you I blame myself for doing it. Normally I am very slender and lately I'm putting on weight.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:31 am

New_Wave_Princess wrote:
lendmeflight2 wrote:With your Objectivist, survival of the fittest, attitude I am sure there are many reasons that you dislike Obamacare. A national health insurance should cover everyone regardless of the reason and setting up some kind of complicated system to decide who "deserves" treatment just makes the system even more bloated than it already is. I do tend to agree with you in some cases. I find it personally annoying that when I was working the people that smoked got more breaks because they "had to". Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have been a model and, I would assume, be in decent shape. You have good genes, not everyone does. I work really hard to stay in shape. I have to or else I would be fat and not worthy of coverage I suppose. If you want to start judging people then let's do that. Let's turn the table back on you. I have heard you state many times that you have turned down $10 an hour jobs because it pays less than your benefit check. It's more than minimum wage and I bet Illinois requires you to take a job that is more than minimum wage. This is offensive to me because I would kill to make that much money now. On top of that this is the attitude that makes people not want to support extra weeks. See how easy it is to judge other people?

Actually, I don't get unemployment now and haven't turned down a $10 hour job in years. I would take one now but haven't been offered one. You are thinking someone else. Sure, I hit the genetic lottery and in addition I happen to be extremely athletic. I also know many people with thyroid issues. However most of the obese people I know are lazy.
I don't think I am thinking of someone else. That's not really the point of what I am saying anyway. You just seem to be a really judgmental person and there is nothing I can do about that except hope that your heart changes. I am glad you are not in charge of things.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:36 am

Why am I judgemental, because I hate leeches taking money away from people who need it? You better believe I am because if one can work they shouldn't be taking money others need. Obesity and drug addiction doesn't mean someone is disabled. Btw, I also have arthritis and probably am considered disabled but you know what? I am abled bodied and refuse to take disability. Instead I would rather wait to get a job.

And I think I would know if I received a $10 hour job offer better than you. I haven't received on in years. In fact those jobs when I get interviews reject me for being overqualified.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:33 am

DesperateInRI wrote:Good to see you, carlch and glad you still have your temp assignment.

Thanks for reminding me about AARP's "shifted" their position on Social Security cuts. I read that last night in several sources.

Just to make others aware of this, I am going to change the title of this thread and post an article I found in the WSJ.

Thanks again!

Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security

Groups representing senior citizens lashed out Friday against AARP for dropping its opposition to cutting Social Security benefits.

A handful of groups dedicated to preserving Social Security and other benefits for senior citizens sharply criticized the AARP’s shift at a time when lawmakers are on the hunt for ways to save money as they negotiate over raising the debt ceiling and over reducing the nation’s debt.

“What AARP has done, in our opinion, in offering up Social Security benefit cuts in order to gain access to closed-door discussions, where let’s-make-a-deal politics has become the norm, is not the way to discuss strengthening a program that touches the lives of virtually every American family,” Max Richtman, acting chief executive of the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, said in a conference call with reporters on Friday.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/06/17/seniors-groups-slam-aarp-for-shift-on-social-security/
Please stay on topic!

Back to top Go down

Post by americatheneedy Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Meooowwww!! Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 508732 Hisssss hisss wow we are a stressed group.
americatheneedy
americatheneedy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:58 pm

americatheneedy wrote:Meooowwww!! Seniors’ Groups Slam AARP for Shift on Social Security - Page 2 508732 Hisssss hisss wow we are a stressed group.

It does get stressful when people judge others without knowing their history.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2