Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce

+7
Judi58
LaRose
Kathleen
gettheminNOVEMBER
nfpexec
TR11005
vintage
11 posters

Go down

For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce Empty For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce

Post by vintage Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:35 pm

Interesting article and video

(CBS News)

Unemployment has hit baby-boomers especially hard. For those over 55, the jobless rate has doubled since the recession began, to 6.8 percent. In real terms, that's more than 2 million people, many of whom once had good-paying, white-collar jobs.

And the older you are when you lose a job, the harder it is to find a new one, CBS News correspondent Byron Pitts reports.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/13/eveningnews/main20070917.shtml#ixzz1PIBoC4mx

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/06/13/eveningnews/main20070917.shtml
vintage
vintage

Back to top Go down

For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce Empty Re: For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:09 pm

That is so sad, but true. I am in that age group. All the recent talk of job creation by retraining for skills and trades in mfg. to fill expected job vacancies when older workers retire are designed to help the younger generation. None of these jobs plans will help the "fifty somethings".

Back to top Go down

For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce Empty Re: For unemployed over 50, jobs especially scarce

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Well it's about time. That number does not count the 99ers and I am willing to be that the over 50 among us are largely 99ers by now. Not that those under 50 arent, but remember, when it comes to letting people go in recessionary times, the longer you have been at a place, the costlier you are to insure, the more vacation and benefits you have the better for them to save money by laying that person off, not the new man/woman who makes half the salary and benefits.

Back to top Go down

Post by TR11005 Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:45 pm

I totally agree. It is worse if you have a Bachelors degree. No help from anyone, not even retraining. This country has loss its common sense. It used to be where you respected the senior workers. Now, it is dealing with these young punks, who never worked a day in their lives. I think the Nazi were smarter then this! moth

TR11005

Back to top Go down

Post by nfpexec Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm

I lost my job a couple of years before turning 50 and ever since it's like i've become invisible. Education & experience means NOTHING. The only reason I can see for my not getting jobs I interviewed for is my age. Everytime I walk into the office I feel like grandma walking into a frat party. And these kids don't have any respect for mature workers and delusional as they are, think they will NEVER be in this situation.

Last edited by nfpexec on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
nfpexec
nfpexec

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:01 pm

I wonder if any of our fearless "leaders" realize most 99ers are above 40, lost their jobs first when things were still going WAY down hill. Most of the 99ers weeks of unemployment were spent watching the economy lose 500,000 jobs a month Question
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:01 pm

getthem, I am convinced that their ignorance of the 99ers is as a whole they have no idea of the amount of us, that jobs are not there for us, they spew their rhetoric, but half of them have no clue how many people are reallly unemployed, which really frightens me, but they also have no idea how to come up with solutions for it. At times I really think they are relieved that these scandals "weinergate" come up just to take the heat off. This debt ceiling is so serious and they are so glib about it, just let us get downgraded, watch how fast stimulus starts flying, just watch. They will work round the clock to make that happen. Other countries will crucify us and will start with them, when corporations start hurting, oh believe me, they will make things happen. Yet still they make statements like so be it, don't extend the debt ceiling. Seems to me they have no clue as to how things really do work. Wait until countries we owe money to start making demands. Just watch how fast they move. it's sickening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathleen Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:06 am

My son and his friends are mostly in their late teens and early 20's and all with no degrees and some with no HS diplomas. They have no trouble getting jobs!! At least those motivated....
Frustrating to me, some of those jobs I can not do physically - so more power to them. Others I am deemed "over qualified for". Can't win for losing.
Two losing groups in this- over 50 and those young going for or who have degree... sad.
Kathleen
Kathleen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:37 am

I went through all the hoops to join "Matureworker Connection" most of these offices have funding from the Fed's and some State funding. It was imporant to have up to date skills, ie; Microsoft Office, Adobe, Database software of various types depending on your industry, they didn't expect SAP or People Soft, but still they wanted you fairly current for your field. I was fortunate to have the skills, but they still sent me to the resume classes, and "looking for work over 50 classes", so I went to the classes and got my cert. It was actually nice to get out and play with others so to speak. Very great folks, all out of work looking to start over. Anyway, they cut the funding June 15th!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 am

So, I thought that might be something with a door opener, since the volunteers kept telling me to mention, mention them to everyone I talked with. Even if I didn't get a referral from them for an interview, they needed the credit to keep getting funding. As of now, there having to close down. Just the name of their organization across the States should be enough to keep them open, but no funding anylonger.

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRose Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:05 pm

I'm in the same boat. I lost my white collar job over two years ago and have only had some spotty contracting jobs to tide me over. I was told by an acquaintance, a former HR person, that the unspoken rule is never to hire anyone that looks like they might be older than 40. I'm approaching 60.

In the past I would have applied for any type of job - dishwashing, fast food, anything. But I can no longer stand for longer than 30 minutes due to side-effects from chemo 6 years ago. It's been hell. And I feel like no one cares.

LaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:36 pm

disgustedwithgovt wrote:So, I thought that might be something with a door opener, since the volunteers kept telling me to mention, mention them to everyone I talked with. Even if I didn't get a referral from them for an interview, they needed the credit to keep getting funding. As of now, there having to close down. Just the name of their organization across the States should be enough to keep them open, but no funding anylonger.

Same spot over fifty and out for over 2 years almost 2 1/2 years.. I had my volunteer work on my resume and at an interview I was told by the man interviewing me to take it off it looked bad.. Cant win for losing...
Now I put that I am in school... what does it matter I am not going to get hired they look at my how much I made and blow me off.. forget I would work for anything.. they dont care or believe you..

Yet if I made that much I must have been worth it.. They could have me for 1/2 that amount.. sounds like a good idea to me..
Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 pm

MaryKay wrote:getthem, I am convinced that their ignorance of the 99ers is as a whole they have no idea of the amount of us, that jobs are not there for us, they spew their rhetoric, but half of them have no clue how many people are reallly unemployed, which really frightens me, but they also have no idea how to come up with solutions for it. At times I really think they are relieved that these scandals "weinergate" come up just to take the heat off. This debt ceiling is so serious and they are so glib about it, just let us get downgraded, watch how fast stimulus starts flying, just watch. They will work round the clock to make that happen. Other countries will crucify us and will start with them, when corporations start hurting, oh believe me, they will make things happen. Yet still they make statements like so be it, don't extend the debt ceiling. Seems to me they have no clue as to how things really do work. Wait until countries we owe money to start making demands. Just watch how fast they move. it's sickening.

I think its WILLFULL IGNORANCE. I see them respond to people all the time on twitter and FB if supporters of either side want to pledge support. But when you say unemployed, jobless or 99er forget it. Rolling Eyes Shame on them.
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm

LaRose wrote:I'm in the same boat. I lost my white collar job over two years ago and have only had some spotty contracting jobs to tide me over. I was told by an acquaintance, a former HR person, that the unspoken rule is never to hire anyone that looks like they might be older than 40. I'm approaching 60.

In the past I would have applied for any type of job - dishwashing, fast food, anything. But I can no longer stand for longer than 30 minutes due to side-effects from chemo 6 years ago. It's been hell. And I feel like no one cares.

What was the rationale for not hiring over-forties?
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:34 pm

MaryKay wrote:getthem, I am convinced that their ignorance of the 99ers is as a whole they have no idea of the amount of us, that jobs are not there for us, they spew their rhetoric, but half of them have no clue how many people are reallly unemployed, which really frightens me, but they also have no idea how to come up with solutions for it. At times I really think they are relieved that these scandals "weinergate" come up just to take the heat off. This debt ceiling is so serious and they are so glib about it, just let us get downgraded, watch how fast stimulus starts flying, just watch. They will work round the clock to make that happen. Other countries will crucify us and will start with them, when corporations start hurting, oh believe me, they will make things happen. Yet still they make statements like so be it, don't extend the debt ceiling. Seems to me they have no clue as to how things really do work. Wait until countries we owe money to start making demands. Just watch how fast they move. it's sickening.

I have no doubt that you're right on the money. I can't understand how they can possibly be so willing to play russian roullette (sp?) with this country and its citizens. I'm in MN, and political party bickering is leading to layoffs and a govt, shut down. Too much drama, not enough competence. I am actually ASHAMED of our elected officials, and not because of Weiner.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:15 pm

I was thinking about The Great Depression, and how a lot of people started businesses just to survive. I was thinking about this because I began to think that the only way we're going to get back to work is if we hire ourselves. But it's not that simple. In some ways, they had it easier.

Back then, there were far fewer regulations, licenses and red tape to deal with. Even baking cookies for sale has red tape. We risk arrest, fines and lawsuits if something goes wrong. So hiring ourselves is sometimes out of reach, too.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRose Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:14 pm

What was the rationale for not hiring over-forties?

Higher potential insurance costs, mostly. But also they expect that older workers would leave if a better-paying job came along. Another reason I heard was that older workers don't have as much energy as younger workers, and they get sick more often.

I was thinking about The Great Depression, and how a lot of people started businesses just to survive. I was thinking about this because I began to think that the only way we're going to get back to work is if we hire ourselves.

That's basically what I've been doing as a contractor. And I do enjoy working for myself. What I miss most, however, is having decent health insurance. It's simply not affordable, especially since I am a cancer survivor. And without a reliable, steady income, it's difficult to budget for premiums that are, in my case, over $600/month. When it comes down to it, that's what I want the most - access to health care when I need it. I'm overdue for my annual blood work to confirm that I'm still in remission. That uncertainty weighs like a ton of bricks over my head. I haven't felt well lately, and I don't know if it's depression, seasonal allergies that make me feel logy, or that my cancer has come back.

LaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:47 am

Hi LaRose, I don't know if this would help you. But, here in AZ, we have a grocery chain that contracts with labs that do your chem panel for approx $35 for a full panel of tests. I'm not sure that would be the same as what a lab panel would be for someone who has had cancer in the past, but can you do some research to see if there may be some organizations that offer blood draws in their facilities in your area? The blood is actually drawn at the local grocery store by Sonoran Labs, it's all done by medical certified folks. You get the results in the mail, and the results show you what the normal/range level would be for an individual reading normal, and then what your level is. Example; lets just use colesteral, normal under 200, your level (whatever it would be), they give it you in HDL and LDL. I've used this service, and if you call the lab, they will give you information if you can't figure out your numbers by yourself. I'm not sure where you live, but these labs are fairly popular all over the Country, they also usually give the flu vaccines at these local grocery stores. Hope this helps, and god bless, hope you stay well.

Back to top Go down

Post by LaRose Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:56 am

Thanks - I'll make a call to my oncologist and see if he knows of anything like that up here. I appreciate your suggestion! Thanks Smile

LaRose

Back to top Go down

Post by New_Wave_Princess Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:18 pm

TR11005 wrote:I totally agree. It is worse if you have a Bachelors degree. No help from anyone, not even retraining. This country has loss its common sense. It used to be where you respected the senior workers. Now, it is dealing with these young punks, who never worked a day in their lives. I think the Nazi were smarter then this! moth

This is sad but true. I contacted the local One Stop and the woman told me my degree made me ineligible for almost every job training program. She said I could possibly take computer training but since I was a computer trainer I think that would be silly to do.

I am only 40 but am being discriminated against agewise. I've had employers bluntly tell me they wanted a younger worker. I don't look my age, in fact many people think I am a college student or in my 20's. The reason they gave for this was because younger people keep up with trends. The thing is I keep up with trends.

They also claim it's insurance. In fact people here have even defended this! The reality is thate age doesn't determine whether one is sick or not. I know plenty of healthy people over 40 and ill 20's people.

New_Wave_Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Redpossum Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:41 pm

51 here, been unemployed since April of 2008, been a 99er for a year now.

It suXX0rz Smile

Redpossum

http://possumhole.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BeachedinFL Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm 58, un- and underemployed since March '09. One of the facets of this fiasco that makes me angriest is, if they would implement some REAL healthcare reform and not the bogus stuff of the past couple of years, employers wouldn't have to worry about the additional overhead if they hire an older worker and could get the talent they need. As to skills up to date? I've got a degree, been building websites since 1997, knowledgeable about social media, etc., etc., and so what?

BeachedinFL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down