Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Obama hints at unemployment extension push

+9
nfpexec
exhaustedandtired/1208
PamelaJo
couth11
Jobless_in_Ma
mistermunster
Saltydog33
Judi58
gettheminNOVEMBER
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 Empty Obama hints at unemployment extension push

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://floridaindependent.com/33241/obama-unemployment-extension

Good news

During a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Tuesday, President Obama suggested that he would like to explore the possibility of extending unemployment benefits again with congressional leaders: #

Bad news

Another extension seems highly unlikely despite continuing high unemployment rates. The Republican-led House appears to be unwilling to do another extension unless the cost is offset by budget cuts. #

idk No matter what keep calling, emailing and tweeting. Giving up is not an option! no
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama hints at unemployment extension push

Post by ExhaustedinCA Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:18 am

As much as I hate to admit it I feel as though 589 is dead as well. I checked on the bill and I see it now as 83 co-sponsors, Rep. Tim Ryan (D) from Ohio signed on as a co-sponsor on 6/13/2011. That's great that they want to add their name to the bill but adding a name isn't the only support we need. Oh how it frustrates me!!!

ExhaustedinCA
ExhaustedinCA

Back to top Go down

Obama hints at unemployment extension push - Page 2 Empty Re: Obama hints at unemployment extension push

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 am

To all: Just out of curiosity, if HR589 doesn't go through, what resources do you have to survive/get by? Myself, I have nothing, and nobody I know is in a position to help me in any way, not even to couch surf. My 2 cats would never be adoptable- one is quite old, one is quite wild.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbie Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:17 am

couth11 wrote:To all: Just out of curiosity, if HR589 doesn't go through, what resources do you have to survive/get by? Myself, I have nothing, and nobody I know is in a position to help me in any way, not even to couch surf. My 2 cats would never be adoptable- one is quite old, one is quite wild.

I have a 99er friend I used to work with. She lost her home, had to give up her cat, furniture, everything. She now lives in a spare room of a church member with her three year old. Maybe there is a church in your area that can help? I know that's not feasible for everyone but that is what she had to do to survive. There is no housing available here, the wait list is three years long. There is a place here that has housing but you must be homeless and mentally ill so she couldn't get into that either. She fit all the criteria except she isn't mentally ill so she is still in the church members spare room with no idea how long that will last.

Everyone else I know who is unemployed is married with a spouse who still works. They have all downsized dramatically, planted gardens, no cable TV, funny but no one I know watches cable or dish TV anymore, necessities only, cooking from scratch, that kind of thing. That is, except one married couple who were evicted and are now staying with different relatives until they can find somewhere they can afford on his wages. They still have their small dog but their cat luckily was adopted by a neighbor they had, otherwise she would have been taken to the no-kill shelter, like my friend I spoke of above had to do with her cat. Who, luckily was adopted even though the kitty had some kind of skin disease and needs meds.

If it comes to being homeless, we never sold our camping equipment and plan on pitching a tent someplace to survive. That's our plan.

I know I am not much help but that's what we have been doing in my neck of the woods to survive as 99ers.

I know it's not help but I wish you much luck, cause it's rough out here, I know.
Abbie
Abbie

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:48 am

I was told not to bother applying for housing- I couldn't anyway, the application lists are closed. Once in awhile an opening for a disabled person/elderly person, which is nice for someone, but not me. I'm not sure a church would be an option for me (non Christian). I am looking at tent cities to join- while there are pitfalls, there is safety in numbers.

My goal is to have some kind of income to pay for a room, or something. Barring that, my goal is to throw myself out of my apartment before I can't pay rent. My landlord and his family have harassed me 24-7 (literally) since I was laid off, and probably had a hand in my being laid off. I would rather throw myself out with nowhere to go, than to be evicted by these losers (with no place to go). I would probably be safer.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:06 am

exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:You are right about 589.. Its dead!! lee won't yell at the repubs. and demand that camp gets 589 out of committee! Another Stabenow....

Yes, I think HR589 may have been created to placate us, to further Senator Lee's career, and to keep "the disenfranchised" in line. I doubt there was ever an intent to bring it to fruition. STILL- HR589 does exist, it hasn't been killed (they're too afraid to do that, at this point), and if we pester the right people, bring lots of attention to its existence, and embarrass the heck out of the GOP/govt. officials, it might go through (think global). They can't hide behind Weiner's weiner (story) forever. As for J. Jackson's alleged affair, he and Boehner have something in common. The republican party is in no position to throw stones.
couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by couth11 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:15 am

DesperateInRI wrote:
exhaustedandtired/1208 wrote:You are right about 589.. Its dead!! lee won't yell at the repubs. and demand that camp gets 589 out of committee! Another Stabenow....

Probably right. I noticed in the interview with Chris Matthews that she is now the Chairperson of the CBC - it was Emmanuel Cleaver. Isn't that what they did to Sen. Stabenow to silence her - give her a high ranking position on a Senate Committee?

Agreed. Love the Mark Twain quote- how do you know/find these? The only Twain quote I know has to do with humans being the only animal that can blush- or needs to (I loved my 4th grade teacher).

couth11
couth11

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbie Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:49 am

I disagree 1000% that Lee yelling at Camp will get 589 out of committee.

I called the Speaker's office myself months ago and asked them to work with the CBC to get 589 paid for only to be told in no uncertain terms that 99 weeks is enough, the tea party 'would have a fit' at anything over 99 weeks even paid for and that people will just fall through the cracks if they don't have a plan after the 99 weeks.

If anyone wants to believe Lee needs to yell at Camp or was somehow bought off on 589 that is your right but after having talked to these people myself, Lee yelling isn't going to cut it to get this bill or any other to the floor while the GOP controls the House and I don't believe she was 'bought off'.

Please go ahead and make excuses for the GOP all you want because they don't care what unemployed people think at all. They only care what the tea party thinks and unemployed people need to realize that before it is way too late, which it may already be. I don't know, I hope not, but I do know I am done with this foolishness that Lee or whoever was 'bought off' or needs to 'yell' and I have had enough of what everyone else but the obstructionists in the GOP should be doing or not doing.

Good luck to all of you in the future cause I'm done with it.
Abbie
Abbie

Back to top Go down

Post by mj33 Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 am

Until we vote the people in who care about the working class on the local level, have local influence w/ morals and ethics rather than strictly getting to washington and livign by different set of rules, lifestyle, huge competitive egos that come with the power, and most importantly stop blaming each other and pointing fingers just to gain voter support in 'selling' themselves, we will have this uphill battle of he said , she said. Its becoming quite a joke to be honest, listening to bickering rather than compromising, saying just enough so we'll join their side as they "sound good", but whats even more comical is the people who vote all these incumbants into office, and we have to accept and take responsibility for that to large degree.

mj33

Back to top Go down

Post by Fuentes Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm

mj33 wrote:Until we vote the people in who care about the working class on the local level, have local influence w/ morals and ethics rather than strictly getting to washington and livign by different set of rules, lifestyle, huge competitive egos that come with the power, and most importantly stop blaming each other and pointing fingers just to gain voter support in 'selling' themselves, we will have this uphill battle of he said , she said. Its becoming quite a joke to be honest, listening to bickering rather than compromising, saying just enough so we'll join their side as they "sound good", but whats even more comical is the people who vote all these incumbants into office, and we have to accept and take responsibility for that to large degree.

Well said.

Fuentes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2