» The Make Some One Day Challenge
Wed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:01 pm by member

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:33 am by 

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

» things are going to get worst
Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:51 pm by 

Social Networks
September 2016
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

White House Ties Trade Pacts to Unemployment Benefits

View previous topic View next topic Go down

White House Ties Trade Pacts to Unemployment Benefits

Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm

The Obama administration will not seek Congressional approval of free trade agreements with Colombia, Panama and South Korea until House Republicans agree to expand unemployment assistance for American workers.
Republicans until now have refused to continue the program, citing its cost. But key business groups have lined up with the White House, sending a letter to Congress earlier this month that urged a deal on unemployment benefits to clear the way for the trade pacts.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/white-house-ties-trade-pacts-to-unemployment-benefits/

Back to top Go down

Re: White House Ties Trade Pacts to Unemployment Benefits

Post by Springflowers on Mon May 16, 2011 2:55 pm

Oh great more countries to take all the jobs.

Hey Obama supporters notice he wants FREE TRADE with them too, so they can take more of the jobs away.

The business groups want it so they can betray this country even more.

Springflowers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Springflowers wrote:Oh great more countries to take all the jobs.

Hey Obama supporters notice he wants FREE TRADE with them too, so they can take more of the jobs away.

These special unemployment benefits have been in existence for approximately 13 - 15 years. They are applicable to anyone who has lost their job due to the Free Trade Agreement in special circumstances. Included in these benefits were retraining and in some cases additional compensation.

The GOP is now trying to cut this program. It has nothing to do with President Obama. The program was instituted under the Clinton Administration. As the article states, Obama is fighting to keep this program in place and is not open to any GOP compromise on this agreement.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Correct Desp. This has nothing to do with HR589, or the extensions of unemployment for any other than those hurt by FTA. President Clinton signed this into law, however, the re-training money is extremely limited and it applies to mostly additional weeks of benefits, which is a good thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER on Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm

DesperateInRI wrote:
Springflowers wrote:Oh great more countries to take all the jobs.

These special unemployment benefits have been in existence for approximately 13 - 15 years. They are applicable to anyone who has lost their job due to the Free Trade Agreement in special circumstances. Included in these benefits were retraining and in some cases additional compensation.

The GOP is now trying to cut this program. It has nothing to do with President Obama. The program was instituted under the Clinton Administration. As the article states, Obama is fighting to keep this program in place and is not open to any GOP compromise on this agreement.

As soon as Obama is mentioned in the Article the righties minds AUTOMATICALLY go to the GUTTER!! NO matter what Obama does.

gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazed&Confused on Mon May 16, 2011 5:31 pm

I am so sick of this **** I could throw up. So sick of it. It never stops, where are we going to get jobs, I can't pull one out of the air, the Republicans want us to live in tent houses, it is all too much. What the hell happened, I worked for 30 years straight, I guess I got old. Dazed

Dazed&Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbie on Mon May 16, 2011 5:32 pm

If they mean TAA, the GOP has been after TAA ever since NATFA. Remember how in 2010, people like Kasich ran around bragging about the surplus they created under Clinton? I looked it up when he was running for Gov here and people like Kasich wanted to make cuts to TAA after they all voted for NAFTA. These people are the scum of the Earth, IMO. These life long career politicians outsourced jobs then turn around and cut the programs for the workers whose jobs are outsourced. The GOP tweets about these new FTA's all the time, if they want them that bad then bring back the program for outsourced workers here the bunch of hypocrites.

Abbie

Back to top Go down

Is President Obama Playing Hardball With GOP Over UI Benefits?

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 5:03 pm

"The Obama administration will not seek Congressional approval of free trade agreements with Colombia, Panama and South Korea until House Republicans agree to expand unemployment assistance for American workers.

The White House wants Congress to restore a program that lapsed in February and provides supplemental benefits for workers whose jobs are shipped overseas, administration officials said on a conference call Monday morning.

“This administration believes that just as we should be excited about the prospect of selling more of what we make around the world, we have to be equally firm about keeping faith with America’s workers,” said Ron Kirk, the United States trade representative."

Continue reading on Examiner.com:
http://www.examiner.com/unemployment-in-denver/is-president-obama-playing-hardball-with-gop-over-ui-benfits#ixzz1MvNHWGXJ

affraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma on Fri May 20, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm quite pleased to hear Obama rake a solid stance on the issue. It's about damn time he spoke up. But considering 1745
this all seems like politics as usual.

Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 on Fri May 20, 2011 5:11 pm

I would like to think that he is. The fact that he said that he wouldn't restore these treaties until more unemployment benefits are added should be enough to show people that he is for the unemployed. However, I am sure that the cult of the republican will find some way for this to show that Obama is actually against the working and class and we need the ghost of Ronald Reagan to come back and save us all.

lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 5:15 pm

That CBC/Crewof42 article did say that they were going to try and tie it in with some big piece of legislation, they weren't sure which piece of legislation it could be. Maybe this was that piece of legislation that they were unsure of.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 5:42 pm

If I am not mistaken, this legislation was started under President Clinton. These benefits are for people whose jobs were in fact shipped overseas due to NAFTA. This does not directly apply to us. Maybe they will tie something to it, but it was my understanding that this is a completely seperate unemployment issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 20, 2011 7:27 pm

Sick & Tired wrote:That CBC/Crewof42 article did say that they were going to try and tie it in with some big piece of legislation, they weren't sure which piece of legislation it could be. Maybe this was that piece of legislation that they were unsure of.

No, I doubt it would be this one. This has been in effect for about 15 years or so. The GOP wants to end it and Obama is making a hard stance on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top