Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden

3 posters

Go down

A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden Empty A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 9:47 am

On Sunday afternoon, as the helicopters raced over Pakistani territory, the president and his advisers gathered in the Situation Room of the White House to monitor the operation as it unfolded. Much of the time was spent in silence. Mr. Obama looked “stone faced,” one aide said. Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. fingered his rosary beads. “The minutes passed like days,” recalled John O. Brennan, the White House counterterrorism chief.

The code name for Bin Laden was “Geronimo.” The president and his advisers watched Leon E. Panetta, the C.I.A. director, on a video screen, narrating from his agency’s headquarters across the Potomac River what was happening in faraway Pakistan.

“They’ve reached the target,” he said.

Minutes passed.

“We have a visual on Geronimo,” he said.

A few minutes later: “Geronimo EKIA.”

Enemy Killed In Action. There was silence in the Situation Room.

Finally, the president spoke up.

“We got him.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/world/asia/03intel.html

Back to top Go down

A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden Empty Re: A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden

Post by cps70 Tue May 03, 2011 1:38 pm

The President at that moment was neither a dem or repub. there was no partisan politics being played no left or right wing there was only a man who was elected president and was doing what was best for the US #1 and the rest of the world #2 at that moment he was for everyone our commander and chief he was strong and unwavered,he was, shall I dare to say, just plain Mr. President. and I for one would like to thank our great military and our pres for a job well done.

cps70

Back to top Go down

A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden Empty Re: A Somber Moment in the 'Situation Room' - Behind the Hunt for Bin Laden

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 2:04 pm

Just looking at the faces of the people in that room during that moment made them all "human beings" in my eyes. You are right, there were no Repubs or Democrats in the room, just our President and the people he chose to help him lead the country.

That picture is worth more than a "thousand words", it speaks volumes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue May 03, 2011 2:18 pm

That was a great moment for America. One less evil person in this world. My fear though is a retaliation by Al queda.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 4:28 pm

That was awesome to watch. That pic of Secretary Clinton with her hand to her mouth - really looks intense.

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Tue May 03, 2011 4:33 pm

I really don't think much will change in the world. I don't believe that Bin Laden had been leading Al Queda for awhile now. A lot of their effectiveness has been diminished in the last 10 years. We have caught all of the terror plots on America since then.

The big difference going forward is that the symbol of Osama Bin Laden is no longer there. Before Sunday, he stood as an example that you could attack the USA and get away with it. Now, no one can say that.

I do wish they had picked a different code name besides Geronimo. I understand he was a fugitive for a longtime but he is sort of a heroic character in mine and a lot of other people's eyes. I don't want his memory attached to someone like Bin Laden.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 03, 2011 4:37 pm

The code name Geronimo had apparently been chosen for bin Laden because, like the Native American chief, he had managed to evade capture for years and was apparently able to vanish into thin air.
In Geronimo's case his ability to stay on the run gave rise to legends that he was able to walk without leaving any tracks, and that he could survive being shot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/03/geronimo-and-other-code-names_n_857046.html#s273587&title=Geronimo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum