Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits

+2
mrmarti
Dazed&Confused
6 posters

Go down

tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits Empty tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits

Post by Dazed&Confused Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:00 am

This guy says it like it is:

I waiver between thinking that Obama is unusually naive and politically unsavvy and thinking that he's complicit with Republican goals. His constant compromising, either when no compromising is necessary, is getting tiresome.

What could he do? you ask. Well, for one thing, he could take a clue from Ronald Reagan and appeal directly to the voters. For example, here's what a savvy president who was on the side of ordinary Americans would have done with the battle over the extension of the Bush tax cuts last year.

He would have gone on TV and said something like,

"My fellow Americans, I'm speaking directly to you tonight because the Republicans are playing games with people's lives. Since we Democrats are concerned about the deficit, we want to let President Bush's tax cuts for people making over $250,000 expire as of December 31, 2010, *as they were intended to.* The taxes of a person making $250,000 would rise $xx per year as a result, an amount that a person at that income level spends on one night at a fancy restaurant. Taxes for people making less than $250,000 would remain the same. Let me repeat, taxes for 99% of Americans would remain the same. That's literally 99% of Americans.

"But the Republicans are saying that they want to extend these temporary tax cuts for the wealthy, and they say that unless we agree to do so, they will not agree to extend unemployment benefits for the millions of Americans who have been unable to find jobs for over a year. Let me repeat that, too. They would rather cut off the incomes of millions of ordinary Americans than have the richest 1% pay an extra $xx a year.

"As such, I will not sign any bill that includes an extension of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. I will not give into blackmail. If you are one of the long-term unemployed, gather with others who are in your situation and make a personal visit to your Republican House member or Senator and explain what this issue means to you. If you have friends or relatives in this situation, phone, write, or e-mail your Republican House member or Senator.

"And above all, remember that it is THE REPUBLICANS who are favoring one rich person's steak dinner over the survival of millions of Americans. Thank you."

He has not done this or anything like it. As a result, his constant capitulation is losing the support of his former base while not gaining any support from the Republicans.

Again and again, I'm hearing, "No one in Washington is looking out for us."

Actually, some of the members of the Progressive Caucus are doing their best. I would love to see them and Senator Sanders of Vermont break away and form a new left populist party that placed the economic interests of ordinary people FIRST. If the Democrats cannot stand on any principle other than compromise, they deserve to go the way of that other namby-pamby party, the one that couldn't form a coherent position on slavery in the nineteenth century, the Whigs.

Reference http://community.nytimes.com/comments/www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/us/politics/10debt.html?permid=120

We need to go to war, it is unbelievable what is happening in States with Governors who are Republicans and Extended Benefits, they are making up their own rules, it is unreal. Dazed
Dazed&Confused
Dazed&Confused

Back to top Go down

tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits Empty Re: tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits

Post by mrmarti Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:13 am

It's coming - people are waking up - they are not going to take it much longer
mrmarti
mrmarti

Back to top Go down

tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits Empty Re: tax cuts for the Rich vs The Unemployment Benefits

Post by delko Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:51 am

Just wait for the unemployment benefits to be completely tapped out for the 15 million workers in 'transition' as they prefer to call it in our Politically Correct Cluster Eff of a Country today. There will be an uprising. March on Wall Street. Stone their fancy $150k cars as they drive by. It's going to get VERY ugly the longer this goes.

delko

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:01 pm

delko wrote:Just wait for the unemployment benefits to be completely tapped out for the 15 million workers in 'transition' as they prefer to call it in our Politically Correct Cluster Eff of a Country today. There will be an uprising. March on Wall Street. Stone their fancy $150k cars as they drive by. It's going to get VERY ugly the longer this goes.

The governments motto: Pander to the rich and Moderated everyone else.

Doesn't it make you proud to be an American?

USA, USA, USA!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Judi58 Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:32 pm

So True... But I have been reading and I never knew that this is not the first time since the depression and of course we do remember the Regan days.. but in between the unemployment has been this bad even with Kennedy the reason we are seeing it more clearly is because the goverment controled what got to the press.. with internet they cant control what we communicate across the states or the world... or that we are banding together to say WE ARE NOT GOING TO GO ANYWHERE... WE ARE FIGHTING BACK.. I saw pictures of tent cities from the early 60's.. interesting at least to me... I will vote DEM never do I want to see the reps take over in this climate. we will alll be on the street..

Judi58
Judi58

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:05 pm

I agree totally with the spirit of this article. However, it isn't exactly the way the author is making it seem. On this one particular issue, the Bush tax cuts, Obama really had no choice. It wasn't about unemployment benefits at all, that was just something the president got in the deal because he thought it was important and he got the longest extension we have ever had at one time. His choice was to either pass the cuts or let them expire. If he let them expire taxes on middle America would have gone up by 50%. This was an impossible scenario. Those taxes could not have gone up so knowing he was pretty much forced to do it, he got what he could.

Now, fast forward to this past Wednesday. He came out and attacked Paul Ryan's plan and acted like the progressive I always thought he was. He refused to extend the tax cuts again and he came out fighting. You can tell because all the republicans are whining and crying about it. Now, let's see if he sticks to it.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:21 pm

lendmeflight2 wrote:I agree totally with the spirit of this article. However, it isn't exactly the way the author is making it seem. On this one particular issue, the Bush tax cuts, Obama really had no choice. It wasn't about unemployment benefits at all, that was just something the president got in the deal because he thought it was important and he got the longest extension we have ever had at one time. His choice was to either pass the cuts or let them expire. If he let them expire taxes on middle America would have gone up by 50%. This was an impossible scenario. Those taxes could not have gone up so knowing he was pretty much forced to do it, he got what he could.

Now, fast forward to this past Wednesday. He came out and attacked Paul Ryan's plan and acted like the progressive I always thought he was. He refused to extend the tax cuts again and he came out fighting. You can tell because all the republicans are whining and crying about it. Now, let's see if he sticks to it.

What bothers me is I think he was more worried about raising taxes on the middle class than the unemployed. Obama needs to WAKE UP and realize how bad the problem really is. He has shown me nothing in terms of long term unemployed and the problems older workers face getting hired. The clueless ahols around him are not helping maybe that is a good place to start hammer the whitehouse press with the real unemployment jobs crisis. Its not a problem its a CRISIS!
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 pm

gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:
lendmeflight2 wrote:I agree totally with the spirit of this article. However, it isn't exactly the way the author is making it seem. On this one particular issue, the Bush tax cuts, Obama really had no choice. It wasn't about unemployment benefits at all, that was just something the president got in the deal because he thought it was important and he got the longest extension we have ever had at one time. His choice was to either pass the cuts or let them expire. If he let them expire taxes on middle America would have gone up by 50%. This was an impossible scenario. Those taxes could not have gone up so knowing he was pretty much forced to do it, he got what he could.

What bothers me is I think he was more worried about raising taxes on the middle class than the unemployed. Obama needs to WAKE UP and realize how bad the problem really is. He has shown me nothing in terms of long term unemployed and the problems older workers face getting hired. The clueless ahols around him are not helping maybe that is a good place to start hammer the whitehouse press with the real unemployment jobs crisis. Its not a problem its a CRISIS!

Agreed but what should he do? If you were president what would you do?

If you knew they all republicans wanted you to fail at any cost. If there was almost no chance you could get an added weeks bill passed and you had no actual money to pay for it, what would your next move be? How would you stop discrimination of older workers? You could pass a law but companies would just find some other reason not to hire them.
What are your thoughts?
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by gettheminNOVEMBER Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:18 am

lendmeflight2 wrote:
gettheminNOVEMBER wrote:

Agreed but what should he do? If you were president what would you do?

If you knew they all republicans wanted you to fail at any cost. If there was almost no chance you could get an added weeks bill passed and you had no actual money to pay for it, what would your next move be? How would you stop discrimination of older workers? You could pass a law but companies would just find some other reason not to hire them.
What are your thoughts?

Number one I would actually admit there is a problem and get real advisors around me that could help. Its not like he does not know or its some mystery. The very fact he says nothing speaks volumes in my book. He spins the jobs numbers like its a good thing we have 15 million unemployed and 200,000 jobs. Its a square peg in a round hole won't fit.

Now how do we change things? Unite, fight and tell other how you feel. MANY VOICES WORKING together and sharing ideas because the alternative is not good. I am talking employed, underemployed, unemployed. ALL WORKING CLASS, we have numbers don't forget that.

The problem with discrimination of older workers is again you need jobs and demand drives the economy. You can give money to rich people but if Americans don't have cash to spend well business go flat!. Its a bottom up system and for the Reagan and bush years they went top down and it sucks to be the bottom feeder!

Now we have a huge debt Bush caused and the extreme right driven by the Koch bros who don't care about people only profit pollution be dammed and just want the BLACK man out of the WHITE house. If you suffer F it they don't care! High unemployment high gas prices all spell VICTORY in 2012 for them. I HOPE Obama shows me more and we will see. cyclops
gettheminNOVEMBER
gettheminNOVEMBER

Back to top Go down

Post by lendmeflight2 Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:30 am

He has to stand up and be a progressive now. If he doesn't I don't know what I will do in 2012. It would be hard for me to vote for him but I will be d@mned if I vote for a republican. I would probably vote for him anyway and hope for the best.
lendmeflight2
lendmeflight2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down