Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Stillnutty passed away
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2019 3:59 pm by Sad American

» UF2 Members Chat Thread: Part 3
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 am by DesperateInRI

» UFO 2.1 VIDEO JUKEBOX - Our Chords & Keys To Ascension
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 01, 2017 8:19 pm by DesperateInRI

» I see this board has been quiet
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm by Knight1009

» Hello Ya'll. *Theirmommie*
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am by my_lucid_bubble72

» 20 % of Americans Struggle To Buy Food
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2015 1:00 pm by pbrad009

» The Make Some One Day Challenge
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyWed May 27, 2015 12:32 pm by Prof_NSA

» Clues to why they not hiring you
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:25 pm by Sandra5yearsunemployed

» New Year Nothing Change
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:48 pm by Prof_NSA

» Passed?!?! H.R. 3979: Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2014
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:24 pm by charliekerper

» Forbes: America's #1 Problem is Jobs, Not Debt
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 10:50 pm by jmainframe

» Economy just getting worse
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 12:16 pm by oncemore

» January Jobs Report: U.S. Economy Adds 157,000 Jobs; Unemployment Rate Up To 7.9 Percent
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am by DesperateInRI

» Hey Guys!!!!
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am by pbrad009

» Up all NIGHT WORRIED!
When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 25, 2014 11:56 pm by pbrad009

Social Networks
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers

+11
Dazed&Confused
Feyth
Brain Droppings
Arania
superstevies
mistermunster
mrmarti
99ermikeb
gettheminNOVEMBER
MoInSTL
Jobless_in_Ma
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Empty When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

This article is taken from "The Root", a publication owned by the Washington Post:

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers

Millions of jobless Americans are out in the cold after exhausting their unemployment insurance. Now what?

On Unemployed Friends 2.0, a message board for people who have been out of work long enough to exhaust all emergency unemployment insurance -- "99ers," as some have taken to calling themselves -- users let off steam in the Venting Forum.

I am sooo tired of calling temp agencies week after week with no callbacks or results … I'm burned out from over 2 years of this routine. –503Depressed

This feels like a permanent state. Even though I send out resumes, I don't really think anyone is going to call or that I will ever work again.
–nfpexec

Been unemployed over 2 years, sent out resume to hundreds of jobs, 4 interviews and nothing. Nothing, nothing, nothing. –js123

Please don't give up, be good to yourself today, and try to stay positive. We are all in this together. You are not alone. –DesperateInRI

http://www.theroot.com/views/when-unemployment-runs-out-meet-99ers?page=0,0

The Administrators and Moderators at UFF2 would like to thank all our members for doing their part to ensure our voices are being heard in Washington. This article gives us reason for renewed hope and the strength to continue the uphill battle we have all been facing, some for over a year. When HR 589 happens, it will because YOU made it happen.

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 9685

Unemployed Friends 2.0 has also received a letter of appreciation for all of our members from the American 99er's Union:

Good Afternoon Jobless_in_MA,

I wanted to make you aware that your site was referenced and several members
posts were used in an article released today by The Root. The Root is a
publication owned by The Washington Post. I was asked by the writer if I
could recommend one of our member's sites as a good place for quotes and I
felt yours was strong. I am glad to see the writer visited your site!
The
link is below:

Regards,
Gregg S. Rosen, CPNLP
President/Co-Founder
The American 99ers Union

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Ribbon10

Last edited by DesperateInRI on Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:44 am; edited 9 times in total

Back to top Go down

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Empty Re: When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers

Post by Arania Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Isn't that just first tier? I went through fourth! Would that help me? I can't figure it out from what I see on the web.

Arania

Back to top Go down

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Empty Re: When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:04 pm

It would help everyone. You would go back on Tier 1 for 14 weeks.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.unemployed-friends2.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

THANK YOU! That is the best news!

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 pm

Arania wrote:Isn't that just first tier? I went through fourth! Would that help me? I can't figure it out from what I see on the web.

This bill will add 14 weeks to Tier 1. This will allow everyone, even the states who have triggered off of Tier 4 because they are below 8.5% unemployment, to be eligible for the additional 14 weeks. If you were eligible for EUC 08, you will be eligible for benefits under this bill. I have been a "99er" for a little over a year now and I would receive the benefit of these additional weeks. That was Rep. Lee's reasoning of adding those weeks to tier 1.

Back to top Go down

Post by Arania Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:06 pm

Thank you!

Arania

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:19 pm

superstevies wrote:I am so stoked this Root Article is on the MSN home page. Under the Editors Pick section. Maybe this time we really are starting to stir the beez nest.

Carpe' Diem....I'm off to call Everybody I can call. House Reps, Senators, Presidents, Friends, Romans & Countrymen. I'm gonna shout it from the rooftops.

VIVA!!! H.R.589!!! or anyother legislation help for the Long Term Unemployed.

That's some awesome exposure!
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

Jobless_in_Ma wrote:
superstevies wrote:I am so stoked this Root Article is on the MSN home page. Under the Editors Pick section. Maybe this time we really are starting to stir the beez nest.

Carpe' Diem....I'm off to call Everybody I can call. House Reps, Senators, Presidents, Friends, Romans & Countrymen. I'm gonna shout it from the rooftops.

VIVA!!! H.R.589!!! or anyother legislation help for the Long Term Unemployed.

That's some awesome exposure!

Thanks for the heads up, Steve! I also saw some other stories about long term unemployment there today. Maybe people are starting to listen to us!!!!!!

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Believ10

Back to top Go down

Post by Brain Droppings Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Great article, great efforts ... cheers
Brain Droppings
Brain Droppings

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:20 pm

Brain Droppings wrote:Great article, great efforts ... cheers

Great efforts by all of our members! Thank you everyone!!! When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 pm

Good Afternoon Jobless_In_MA,

I wanted to make you aware that your site was referenced and several members posts were used in an article released today by The Root. The Root is a publication owned by The Washington Post. I was asked by the writer if I could recommend one of our member's sites as a good place for quotes and I felt yours was strong. I am glad to see the writer visited your site! The link is below:

Regards,
Gregg S. Rosen, CPNLP
President/Co-Founder
The American 99ers Union

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 34243

Back to top Go down

Post by Feyth Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Advocate G is the best, heartfelt thanks for continuing the good fight! And thanks to all the Unemployed Friends who refuse to go quietly into the night. Much appreciation!

Feyth

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 pm

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 296338 Feyth good to see ya around.
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Dazed&Confused Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:26 pm

You already know me, I will be a 99er having missed Tier 4 and EB and HUP in the wonderful Commonwealth of PA lead by our Republican Governor Corbett. Hi everyone! I wish I had the heart to see how many Republican states went to 3-year look back, and how many Democratic
states went to 3-year look back but I have lost heart. Dazed
Dazed&Confused
Dazed&Confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Jobless_in_Ma Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

bounce
Jobless_in_Ma
Jobless_in_Ma
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by laine25 Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:50 pm

A must read for everyone...
laine25
laine25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Horrible stories, but good news in a way. We are now getting the exposure we deserved a year ago. Way to to everyone for emailing and calling and faxing. We are being heard. They can't keep ignoring us, they will try,but too many are doing stories and they can't hide from them anymore. When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 34243

We MUST keep it up. We MUST continue to get exposure.

Back to top Go down

Post by petlisco Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Thank you all. Keep spreading the word.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csPLRgWTCn4

petlisco

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:47 am

diffrince

Back to top Go down

Post by willchew Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

I have three school-going daughters. My daughters were born in 2001, 2004 and 2009. Economic conditions in those years forced me out of job. How old were my daughters in those years? How could I financially support my toddlers, my spouse and my elderly mother who were NOT working? I am finding ways to earn passsive income when I am not working. Please share with me ***Moderated - SOLICITATION***

Please read Forum Rules and Code of Conduct before posting!

willchew

Back to top Go down

When Unemployment Runs Out: Meet the 99ers  - Page 2 Empty Unemployment Statistics

Post by provenprogram Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:52 am

Hello. First time poster here. pouty pouty pouty

I just read a thread that started with a 'U' curve graph that painted a rosy picture about the unemployment numbers. It looked great. The thread was titled something like 'The best upturn in employment since 1984'. That sounds great too.

This is what I'm seeing...and I'm on the front lines of the unemployment problem....which means that I'm unemployed too. Thank goodness that I've only been out of work for just under a year instead of so many people I know that have been out for 3 years or so. I was laid off from a Computer Aided Design tech position and I had no choice but to file for UI. I've been beating the heck out of job ads, job fairs, resume and interview classes etc. I've been doing self study (for months) on a Computer Aided design program that I want to test for this week in the hopes of getting an entry level job with it. Just last Tuesday I was at a job fair (in Everett,WA) for local manufacturers. There must have been 300+ people there. There was only 10 employers. It was like black Friday at Walmart. You could feel the tension and anxiety....in the air. The depressed expressions on good peoples' faces was obvious. 300 people, 10 employers....

Last week (Monday) I got a letter from the State of Washington telling me that I had benefits that would definitely expire this August. A phone call confirmed it. I thought 'ok, i can breathe at least that much longer if i have to'. TWO DAYS LATER I called to make absolutely sure the information was accurate. I was then told that the feds canceled the program and that I had only TWO WEEKS of benefits left. I'm panicking. I cant survive working a fast food job making 1/4 of my prevailing wage. I'd loose everything....including my mind. I'm 43 years old with good work history.

There are going to be many, many families that are in the same boat. We all feel like the rug was just yanked from under us.

In 2002 the unemployment in Washington State was 8% and that was terrible. I'm used to it being about 3-4% here. Today they're saying 8.3% like its a good thing?

I'm asking anyone who could help....please, please, please...if there is any way to get an 11th hour reconsideration to keep benefits in place like I was originally told....just another 5months....I'd have that much more of a chance to get a job that I'm trained in.

I've emailed my Senators. If anyone has any suggestions of what could be done from a citizen stand point, please let me know.

Thank you. PP

provenprogram

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Welcome, provenprogram.

As a "veteran" at being unemployed now - (4 years unemployed, over 2 years since benefits ran out) - I can tell you that we, as a group have tried everything we could manage to do.

Our efforts began in late summer, 2009, when the piece of legislation to enact tiers 3 and 4 to the federal extension was introduced in Congress. Most thought it would be a breeze to get through the Senate after it cleared the Dem Majority ruled House. HR 3548 finally passed in mid-November of that year, about two months after the "original 99ers" had exhausted all available extensions, including state EB. It was an uphill battle back then just to get these additional 20 weeks that tiers 3 and 4 provided. We have written, called, faxed and tweeted our Senators and Representatives, provided "Testimony for the Record" for the U.S. House Ways & Means Committee for their hearings on long-term unemployment, we have blogged about it, caught the attention of some mainstream media like Ed Schultz, Ali Velshi, Kieth Olberman, Rachel Maddow, etc., formed a "99ers Union", many members have been featured in national publications and appeared on national news outlets from MSNBC to Fox Business News, telling their stories of the difficulties facing the long-term unemployed. It seems like everything we have done has fallen on deaf ears.

We have sat by helplessly as members and friends took their own lives because they felt their situation was hopeless. We have supported each other through illness, deaths in their families and marriages were destroyed. We celebrated when, on a rare occasion, a member finally got a job, most of the time one that paid significantly less than their old jobs.

MaryKay's Letter for the 99ers should have well over a million signatures, it only has several hundred - there is no excuse for that.

Last February, a bill was introduced in the House by Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA), and co-sponsored by over 80 of her colleagues in the House (all Democrats) and we had our hopes set high. That bill would have extended tier 4 by an additional 14 weeks, and applicable to anyone who had been eligible for EUC08. The bill was introduced at a press conference by Ms. Lee, who was surrounded by a group of longterm unemployed and 99ers. HR589 was sent to the House Ways & Means Committee for a hearing. Once again, hundreds of members introduced their Testimony for the Record and once again, despite our efforts, that bill still sits in Committee, waiting for a hearing. We all know now that it won't happen, Congress has chosen to go in the opposite direction - reducing the amount of weeks of unemployment benefits.

Most of the time we have been sidetracked by petty arguments over politics or other personal opinions. Members have turned on each other. While we had the chance to organize as a large united group, we sat back and socialized, turned against each other, fought over politics, etc. Some were here to just chat - sit back and let a few do the work. I'm not saying there was anything wrong with socializing, we need it for support, but too many left it up to a select few to advocate. Now that most have disappeared, probably due to financial reasons (not being able to afford the internet, which was our most valuable tool to spread awareness of LTU), the voices of the advocates have quieted, maybe some out of frustration, maybe some have become to disheartened to put their full effort into this situation. This is exactly what Washington wanted. Now that we are in an election year, no one brings up the exhaustees anymore, and the fact that by reducing benefits that number will be increasing steadily. Politicians have turned their focus to other issues, none of which compare to the humanitarian issues the jobless in this country face right now.

Apathy divided and conquered. If we want anything done, we need to stick toghether despite our political differences. This crisis is not a political issue (as it has been treated for the last three years), it is a human tragedy that can only be addressed when we are all willing to make the commitment to stick together and lose the excuses of why we "can't" advocate any longer.

I hope I see that day while I am still young enough to find employment.

Back to top Go down

Post by superstevies Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:56 pm

I continue to advocate...but I do feel it's like beating a dead horse. I get nothing back anymore. They give the staple answers when I call. I call, fax, email, tweet, facebook ect.

Nothing much is said about us anymore. I used to hear about Rep.Lee & on the crew of 42 web page fighting for the long term unemployed and don't see much of anything anymore.

superstevies
superstevies

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:22 pm

superstevies wrote:I continue to advocate...but I do feel it's like beating a dead horse. I get nothing back anymore. They give the staple answers when I call. I call, fax, email, tweet, facebook ect.

Nothing much is said about us anymore. I used to hear about Rep.Lee & on the crew of 42 web page fighting for the long term unemployed and don't see much of anything anymore.

I know how you feel, Steve! We had our chance, but it was lost when people got sidetracked. You are one of our biggest supporters and I will always be grateful to you, and other members like you, for not giving up, despite the odds. Thanks for all you do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum